We are on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
It was not easy making it this far.
F or over 125 years YWCA Great Lakes Bay Region has provided valuable programs and services to the community to assist those in need. It all began on May 4, 1891, when eleven pioneering women met to discuss how they can help support local women. Within two weeks a committee had been formed and officers elected. In December, the Young Womenís Christian Association of Bay City was incorporated.
In 1899 the organization moved to the Root Building, then purchased two houses at the corner of 4th and Washington where housing and meals were provided for ìhomelessî girls. In October 1906 YWCA Bay City became a chartered member of YWCA USA.
By 1914 a goal of $65,000 was set for a new building and the cornerstone was laid at 4th and Adams, just across from the current day post office. After this building was opened for only two years, Camp Maqua was opened in 1919 - 65 acres on Loon Lake in Hale, Michigan which provided summer camp to women for over 60 years.
YWCA moved in September of 1971 to the building on Midland Road, after officially changing the name to YWCA of Bay County in 1966.
This location would later be sold in 2009 so that the organization could focus on the mission of eliminating racism and empowering women. In 2010, YWCA of Bay County changed the name to YWCA Great Lakes Bay Region, being the first nonprofit in the region to reflect the new regional name. Office space was rented out of the United Way building before moving to our current location, the first floor of the Phoenix Building in downtown Bay City. Then expanding services to Midland and Saginaw in 2014.